Monday, January 5, 2009

Exploring Undersea "Space" Resorts

World-renowned submersible designer Graham Hawkes is the founder and Chief Engineer of Hawkes Ocean Technologies and Ocean Galactic. As he is fond of telling his aerospace colleagues, "you've got your rockets pointed in the wrong direction!" Spending time with Graham at last fall's Space Angels Network Aerospace Venture Forum, I became increasingly intrigued by the notion of focusing on exploring Earth's oceans as a precursor to exploring outer space.

I've been finding a number of interesting projects around the world, but unfortunately I'm just not sure how viable each of these will be. I'm still holding out hope! Supposedly, there are plans for a 7-story underwater hotel in Istanbul. However, the most prominent such projects include:

Poseidon Resorts in Fiji



Hydropolis in Dubai


There are other projects around the world, each in varying stages of development. I certainly hope that I'll be visiting one of them soon!

No comments: