Saturday, February 18, 2012

Whitney Houston's death

On February 11, 2012, Whitney Houston died. That was less than a week ago, and I'm still thinking about it. Why? I'm not sure. Celebrity deaths rarely affect me, but for some reason this one did.

Perhaps it was because she was such a icon during the 1980's, my formative teen-age years? Perhaps it was because I never got tired of being blown away by her voice? So much range, power, control, and beauty. She had a "big voice" years before anyone even thought a voice could get that big. Absolutely amazing.

Or perhaps her death hit me so hard because of her acting debut in the 1992 film, The Bodyguard, with Kevin Costner? The movie was OK, her acting was really good, and her singing was expectedly stellar. However, what hit home with me was Costner's character, Frank Farmer. I wanted to be Frank. I wanted to be a Protector. Something about that profession called to my base instinct to protect others.

A couple of years prior, I had read a book called The Fifth Profession by David Morrell. The main characters were also professional protectors, and I was hooked then. I wanted to be a Protector. Years later I joined the U.S. Marine Corps to protect our country. Now I would give anything to protect my family. That base instinct is still there. But Whitney is not. At least I will always have Rachel Marin. And Frank Farmer.

Here is Kevin Costner's wonderful eulogy at her funeral:

No comments: