Sunday, April 26, 2009

"Living the Map"

I love it when people intentionally take unique turns with their lives. For example, one of my best friends from high school is finishing up a 5-year sail around the world ... with her husband and two young sons!

I recently came across another individual living an interesting life. A 26-year-old guy named Daniel Seddiqui came up with a unique approach to figuring out "what he wants to be when he grows up": he's trying to work 50 different jobs in 50 weeks ... in 50 different states! Talk about a terrific job-searching and soul-searching experience! He's calling it "Living the Map", and he's currently 31 weeks into the project. As you can imagine, he's garnered lots of media attention, too.

BTW ... those of you who know me very well may notice something interesting at the bottom of Daniel's home page. He organized his photo gallery by state and used photos of each stateline sign as the home page icon linking to each state's photos. A number of years ago, I started collecting photos of stateline signs during my travels. I'm up to 43 (including Alaska and Hawaii!), but I've been stuck for a while. I need to make a return trip to the Pacific Northwest (I was in Oregon and Washington BEFORE I started collecting snapshots) and a doubtful swing through the northern Midwest (Minnesota, Michigan, etc.). The novelty of the project wore off a long time ago, so now it's just a matter of my not wanting to give up without crossing the finish line. We'll see!

No comments: